Tips & Advice from the professional personal trainers at OneLife training gym in Kelowna.
These exercises are perfect to do at home or when you’re away from your gym. They are convenient, effective, and require no or limited tools. Even better, these exercises are extremely effective to burn fat fast. Here are our 5 best exercises we recommend to burn fat on the spot.
The burpee is a squat variation that combines the push up and the jump as part of the exercise. With a burpee you train your legs, arms, chest, back and abs. It’s a full body workout that helps with flexibility, and the best part is that the only tool you need to perform it is your own body.
- Start by standing upright.
- Bend your knees as if performing a squat.
- Place your hands flat on the floor.
- Stretch your feet out behind you.
- You are now in the start position of a push up.
- Do a push up.
- After the push up, pull your legs back up.
- Stand upright.
- Repeat for desired number of reps.
When you’re comfortable with this, you can intensify the exercise by slowing your speed to achieve a better stretch and by adding a leap in the air when you rise from the push up, stretching your arms wide as you do so.
The high knees exercise is simple buy very effective. This running-like exercise dramatically increases your heart rate and burns body fat fast. Everyone can benefit from this exercise, and it’s great practice for runners to improve their form and strengthen their lower body muscles. This exercise improves your balance and flexibility and is great for toning your legs and abs. It burns calories, builds muscles and enhances blood circulation.
- Stand up straight and lift your feet off the ground one at a time, making sure to bring your knees high up to waist level.
- Let your arms follow your motion and ensure to touch the ground with the balls of your feet.
- Maintain a steady tempo during this exercise. Repeat for 5-10 minutes.
What’s simpler than jumping in the air? Not much. And there’s not much to this exercise. But it’s a great lower body workout, perfect for the quadriceps. In this exercise you jump from one spot to another. We recommending using a soft landing surface.
- Stand in a partial squat stance with feet shoulder width apart.
- Using a big arm swing and a countermovement of the legs, jump forward as far as you can.
- Reach as far as possible with your legs and have both feet land on the floor at the same time.
- Make sure to measure the distance from your starting to your landing point. Try for 10 reps.
Skipping isn’t just for kids. It’s an explosive exercise that will improve your power and acceleration. It’s also an excellent warm-up exercise to get your heat pumping and your blood circulating. Skipping (or jumping rope) can add definition to the calves and shoulders and provides a great aerobic workout if done correctly. First, make sure you have a good rope. Beaded or plastic ropes are more durable than cotton ones. Ensure too that the rope is the right height: When you stand on the middle of the rope, the handles should extend to your armpits.
- Keep your body upright.
- Keep your elbows close to your body as you let the rope go around at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Keep your palms facing up.
- Ensure that the rotational movement comes from your wrists and forearms, not from your shoulders.
- Jump just high enough off the ground to allow the rope to skip under your feet.
- Jump with your knees slightly bent.
- Ensure that only the ball of your foot hits the ground when you land.
- Tense your abdominal muscles as you skip.
Start with a short session of 10-15 minutes at most, building up slowly in increments if you wish. This is a high impact exercise, so make sure not to overdo it.
Star jumps are another simple and powerful exercise, especially effective for working out your legs and shoulders.
- Stand straight up with your arms by your side and your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend your legs at the knees.
- Jump upwards and outwards, opening your legs wide and moving your arms out, creating a star shape.
- As you land, keep bending your knees until your hands can touch the floor either side of you.
- Ensure to keep your back straight. Looking forward not down will help.
- Repeat 10-15 times.
For more exercise tips and training, and to learn more about all that OneLife Fitness has to offer you, check out the personal training section of our site.